Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Brush washer container

In my studio when I paint my container for cleaning brushes is one my sister gave me for Christmas over
40 years ago. It is a glass jar with a wire coil inside and a screw on lid. It works great, but I was skeptical of taking it to plein air paint. Sure, I could adapt it to hang somehow  but, what if I dropped it and it broke or even cracked-not a good idea to have odorless mineral spirits spilling onto the ground.  Now they sell nifty containers to attach to your set up. They're metal containers with metal handles and a lid, but they cost -be still my heart-$20!
I tried fitting  my glass brush cleaner in a coffee can. The new small cans are made out of cardboard. The bigger coffee cans are actually metal but too cumbersome for outside of your studio.
A week or so earlier I received an email from Margo Burian (margoburian.net)about a wash container she devised. She used a new paint can, a sink stopper and a sink screen. It looked like a great idea.  I bought the stopper, the screen and went to my friendly Sherwin-Willaims paint store for a paint can. Well, a gallon was way too large to take, but a quart can was just the right size and all aluminum (as was the gallon). Sadly, the gallon comes with a metal handle but not the quart cans! and why not? Surely, even thought they are small, a handle would still be helpful to carry them from storage to wherever you're painting-even in your home? The price was right-free-so I thought I'll devise a handle. Home to create the perfect plein air brush washer container.
First thing I found out was my drain stopper did not fit inside the can. Should have looked at Margo's idea a little closer. Since one of my kitchen sink stoppers was cracked all was not lost, money for it was not down the drain (haha) and I put it in my sink. The screen also did not fit, but  made of thinner material with a handy pair of pliers I was able to bend it , and change it from a nice circle to a free form rounded mesh which did fit inside the can. The mesh is good because then the particles go below and the solvent is clear above.
 An old spoon could be used to pry open the lid, and a small ball peen hammer would knock it tightly closed. The hammer would not take up too much space in my bag and the spoon rested nicely beside the can in the basket.. BUT-how to attach it to my set up? If I punched holes in the can for a wire handle then I'd have leakage so to the dollar store I went.
There I supported China and bought two plastic baskets for $1. (Naturally, you could not buy only one). I looped a chain through the spaces in one of them and connected the chain to itself with small s-hooks which I tightened with pliers and then taped with electrical tape.
The basket was a little big for the can-so I wrapped foil around the can and then it was secure. It was a little bigger than I wanted but at least it was light weight and could be attached to the cart with bungee cords rather then take up space nside my carry bag.
When painting  I attached the chain over a big "S" hook which I hooked over the side of my paint box. In the picture you'll see shoe laces to make it less tippy but I didn't need them.


No comments:

Post a Comment