Monday, September 7, 2015

First Post

I'm preparing for a Plein Air workshop  at The Franciscan Life Process Center in Lowell, Michigan. (www.lifeprocesscenter.org/visualarts-workshops.htm) I never imagined I could take workshops near my home from such accomplished artists as Kathy Bechtel , Art Director, has lined up. If only I had money to take all that I am interested in !
The instructor for the workshop I have signed up for is Terry Miura.- www.terrymiura.com. I signed up for the workshop and then realized one of his paintings is featured  in an art book I own -Landscape Painting by Mitchell Albala. I'm going to take my book and see if Terry  will be kind enough to sign his name by his featured painting Into the Valley.  It is a great example on linear perspective.
This evening when I have some shadows to paint I'm going out in my backyard to do a little Plein Air painting and try out my set up before the workshop. Last year I used a pochade box attached to a tripod. The box I have had for almost 50 years, the tripod , not so long. But it was somewhat wobbly so I got a plein air easel at Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupon. It might be heavy to haul over "hill and dale" but I'm putting it on a luggage cart and not going too far. It is sturdier than my previous set up. So then of course, I had to figure out new hanging devices etc for brushes, brush cleaning fluid, paper towels etc. But the  biggest trial was an umbrella. Not sure if I will even use it , but hey I'm entering the big time so thought I'll try it. I was given a small black umbrella so I painted the outside silver(to reflect the sun), then dismantled a laundry unit of it's plastic conduit/pipe and reassembled it to attach the umbrella to-with clamps and bungee cord. It works fine in my den where there's no wind-so there will be a trial run with it tonight.   And we get a lot of wind here so it should be a good indicator-not like being on the beach at lake Michigan, but more than in town. I bought some camping type stakes to anchor to the ground.(can't forget the hammer!)
One good idea I have":I use a glass palette and need a small paint scraper-the kind you put in a razor blade in. But I didn't want the razor to cut paint tubes or whatever in traveling -so I found an old eye glass case (hard plastic kind) and the scraper with the blade fits in it perfectly. Protection and no need to take a little screwdriver -to lose-to put the blade in and out.
I'll take pics of my setup tonight and post the next time with information on what was successful or a failure or not a rousing success , but not a cast off idea either.

1 comment:

  1. The class sounds really neat! I hope that you can get your book signed--that would be really special. If you are REALLY brave, you should get a photo with the artist, too!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete