Friday, September 18, 2015

Wet Canvas Carrier

Today I'm showing my wet canvas carrier. I saw some posts on WetCanvas in the Plein Air Hall of Fame section which showed various artists' home made carriers. Some used foam core, some used picture frames.
I used a sturdy box . I chose the box because it opened on the top, was taller than it was wide and not too deep. Although, it could have been a few inches thinner.It took up a lot of room on the tote cart. It can hold about six panels, but for me that is way more than I need. Because: 1.I'm not generally going too far from my car so I could put some on the floor on plastic 2. I  am returning home after I paint so I don't need to store them over night or for more than the trip home. 3.  I am not a prolific plein air painter. I do two paintings 9x12 and then I am worn out, so i didn't need so much space. So if you're going to make one, consider your needs carefully.
I also chose this box because it was coated  in plastic. Therefore, I could set it on wet ground without it decaying. And the plastic made it sturdier.
It was free. We purchased something from e-bay and it was mailed in this box.
I bought four rectangular dowels at Menards and my BIL cut them in 15" pieces.  (I had one already)I glued the strips with wood glue in my box, two at a time. I had no clamps so I had to rely on the glue and some books to weigh them down until they were adhered. Then I flipped the box and did the other end. Last, I used some foamcore I had as spacers and glued in the last supports.Obviously, you want your wooden dowels to be the height of your box and the number and spacing depends on how thick your panels will be. I use very thin-1/8 inch panels.
Now, the box was bigger than the 9x12 panels , but not big enough for 12x16. However,I

I don't paint that big plein air so that was okay EXCEPT the small panels would not stay against the supports since they were smaller. So, I cut cardboard the size of the box and inserted it against the support. Then I applied very small velcro pads to the corners of the painted panels. This allowed the panels to rest against the cardboard , but the paint was not disturbed. Last, I drilled holes close to the top between the wooden supports and  used a rope -a very thinnish rope
for a handle.
This photo does not show the rope, but I am sure you can imagine it.


No comments:

Post a Comment